Feb 6, 2008

My muse

Perhaps it is bad form for a writer to admit that another writer has done a better job of articulating his thoughts than he has himself, but what are you gonna do?

Maureen Dowd has a column today that comes about as close to my thoughts on the Clinton-Obama primary contest as anything I've read - including my own stuff. Hillary Clinton, I believe, suffers from a Nixonian sense of paranoia (I'm less convinced of the Dick Cheney comparison) that she seems to feel is a strength. But to defeat her, Barack Obama will have to make his own journey into darkness. Otherwise, he'll never be able to lead the nation into the light.

Which reminds me of something a friend of mine recently said about being tired of the poetry spouted by Obama in this campaign. She said poetry doesn't belong in politics.

I think she's wrong. Poetry belongs in politics, but it has to come from some place deeper inside the human soul. As with the blues, it has to be earned.

No comments: