Oct 13, 2010

Comings and goings: Hurley goes Greenwire, Iafolla back to DJ*

Today is Lawrence Hurley's final day as U.S. Supreme Court reporter for the Los Angeles Daily Journal. Hurley starts Monday as a legal affairs writer for the online trade publication Greenwire, which focuses on energy and the environment.

Robert Iafolla, who previously covered Congress for the Daily Journal, until the position was eliminated, will take over the Supreme Court beat. In between DJ gigs, Iafolla wrote a column for the online journal True/Slant, which got gobbled up by Forbes a few months ago.

For those who wonder, Greenwire is is operated by Environment and Energy Publishing. EEP bought the trade pub from the National Journal in 2000 and has continued to expand original reporting on the site.

*Update: Hurley's goodbye email to the DJ troops:
Today is my last day at the Daily Journal after five years in the Washington bureau. They say a week is a long time in politics, so five years is a Washington lifetime. I've been in D.C. so long, I can remember when Republicans were to blame for everything. I am grateful to the DJ for giving me the opportunity to cover important issues in a serious way. Highlights include five Supreme Court nominations (don't forget Harriet Miers!), the U.S. attorney firing scandal and, in my Supreme Court years, the Citizens United case and its aftermath.

Although I'm leaving the DJ, I'm not leaving legal journalism. On Monday, I start a new legal beat at Greenwire here in Washington, focusing on energy & environment issues. I'll still be covering some Supreme Court cases, but will also be dipping into other courts. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: