Dec 22, 2008

Chu makes it official

Judy Chu, chairwoman of the state Board of Equalization, announced today she will run for the congressional seat now held by Rep. Hilda Solis, D-El Monte. Solis is President-elect Barack Obama's nominee for Secretary of Labor.

Chu released the following statement minutes ago:
Today I am announcing my intention to run for the seat representing the 32nd Congressional District, parts of which I have represented for the last 23 years.

In the past few days I have received many encouraging calls and e-mails from supporters and constituents urging me to run and I have decided to heed those calls.

I have a long history of being a coalition builder, with a track record of working well with others to fight for change. I have successfully passed bills protecting working class families. I’ve successfully tackled budget deficit problems through my tax amnesty bill, and through my work at the helm of the BOE, the main revenue generating agency of the state of California.

I believe my experience is what this country needs at this most crucial point in our nation’s history.
Over the weekend, the Sacramento Bee reported that the brothers Calderon - Ron and Charles - might have their eyes on the seat as well. But Chu and state Sen. Gloria Romero are the clear favorites, since they have both represented large portions of the 32nd and are better known there than the Calderons. Romero, D-East Los Angeles, threw her hat in the ring within hours of the Solis announcement.

Chu and Romero have had a tense relationship at times over the years. In 1998, the two women faced off in a race for the state Assembly. Romero won out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is going to be some crazy racial politicking.

Anonymous said...

Politicians make me sick. They won't do whatever job they are currently holding because they always have their eye on the next one up the ladder.

Edward Barrera said...

Guess Fred will get a raise.