Oct 1, 2008

Gotcha

In the wake of the Couric interviews, John McCain has claimed that questions put to Sarah Palin have amounted to "gotcha" journalism. Palin herself said this, "I have a degree in journalism... so it surprises me that so much has changed since I received my education in journalistic ethics all those years ago."

So Portfolio asked Abubakar Alhassan, who teaches media ethics at the University of Idaho School of Journalism and Mass Media, where Palin earned her degree, whether she's been a victim of unethical reporting. Here's what he said:
"I think the media that's had the opportunity to interview her was just giving her that opportunity to explain to people the controversies out there she hasn't hasn't spoken about," he says. "I don't think they asked any 'gotcha' questions. I don't think a question about which it turns out she doesn't know much is a 'gotcha' question."
Read the rest of the entire story here. (via Romenesko)

4 comments:

Brad A. Greenberg said...

Calling Couric's questions "gotcha journalism" is shameless. Palin's performance -- working off of talking points that she jumbled together into rambling, incoherent thoughts -- was downright embarrassing.

Cheryle said...

I think anything anyone says to Palin that doesn't allow her to trot out her kids, provide the opportunity for a hug, or talk about how she's "just a mom," is bound to be construed as either sexist or "gotcha" journalism. As a 61-year-old woman, I am so offended by Sarah Palin as a candidate that I could scream!

Anonymous said...

There's something seriously wrong with a candidate who won't even state where she gets her news from...

Anonymous said...

Sarah Palin is a TOKEN woman and she is not smart enough to realize it.